Mentoring relationships are a shared opportunity for learning and growth. Yet many who consider mentoring a young person don’t know where to start or are concerned they won’t be a good fit. It’s good to put away your worries and focus on not only what the relationship will do for the young person, but what the benefits of being a mentor could do for your life.
6 Benefits of being a Mentor1:
- Have fun
- Achieve personal growth and learn more about yourself
- Improve self-esteem and feel that you are making a difference
- Gain a better understanding of other cultures and develop a greater appreciation for diversity
- Feel more productive and have a better attitude at work
- Enhance relationships with your own children and family
During National Mentoring Month and all year-long, The First Tee celebrates and recognizes our coaches. Research has shown that young people in The First Tee refer to their coaches as mentors.
- 84% of teens & 87% of alumni at The First Tee said their relationships with their coaches were meaningful and grew stronger over time.
The Power of Relationships:
Without caring mentors, positive youth development just doesn’t happen. At The First Tee, we take coaching seriously. We believe that a meaningful, quality relationship between coach and participant is vital to our program. See what our coaches have to say about the relationships they formed.
Make a difference today
Offered at more than 1,200 locations, The First Tee program was developed by experts in the field of positive youth development and is delivered by trained coaches who thrive off the relationships made with our participants. Check with your local chapter to see if becoming a coach is right for you and change the life of a young person….and yourself!