It’s no surprise that after-school programs can do much more than keep your children occupied during the afternoon. After-school activities can help them in a variety of ways. In addition to providing a safe space with caring adult mentors, after-school programs help children develop time-management skills, build self-esteem and practice goal-setting.
Quality after-school programs understand that children and youth in different age groups have different academic, psychological and physical activity needs. Learn what to ask to make sure you choose the right after-school program for your child.
Here are 9 Questions You Should Ask About After-school Programs
- How many young people are in the program that are the same age as my child? What is the age range for the entire program?
- Does your staff have a background in education, child development or learning and attention issues? Is there someone available to help with their homework?
- How do you handle discipline? How are students encouraged to resolve conflicts?
- Do the activities change so that the routine doesn’t become boring?
- Will they be encouraged to try new activities?
- Will I need to provide any type of sports equipment for activities?
- Do you offer character-building programs?
- What are the hours of the program?
- I am on a tight budget—what are the program fees? Do you offer scholarships?
CREATING GOOD CITIZENS
Our mission at The First Tee is to impact the lives of young people by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through the game of golf. Through after-school and in-school programs, we help shape the lives of young people by reinforcing values like integrity, respect and perseverance.