If you’re a participant of The First Tee and you’re reading this, stay in The First Tee program. It has changed my life, and it continues to do so.
I can honestly say that being in The First Tee has introduced me to life skills and guided me through character development that has made me a better person.
My experiences as a participant and junior golfer have forced me out of my comfort zone, helped me develop leadership skills through experience, taught me how to deal with conflict and have made me the person who I am today.
Before joining The First Tee, I didn’t know how to talk to people. I loved talking, but I couldn’t carry a conversation. The program taught me how to look a person in the eye, remember their name and carry a full conversation.
Heck I can’t remember a single full conversation that I had before joining The First Tee, but I can remember conversations I’ve had since…
- I can remember the conversations I had when I played a round of golf with Champions Tour player Lee Trevino.
- I can remember the conversation that I had with Coach Dave McNulty of The First Tee of the Palm Beaches on the driving range of Eisenhower Park Golf Course before my tournament round of the 2012 Life Skills & Leadership Academy.
- I can remember the conversation I had with a participant from The First Tee of Ireland at the 2013 Leaders & Entrepreneurs Forum about how jet-lagged she must have been.
- I can remember the conversations I had with coaches after speaking at the regional meeting this past year.
- I can remember the conversation I had with President George W. Bush about how weird it must be having a handful of guys follow you everywhere you go at the 2013 Battle of The Boot between The First Tee of Greater Dallas and The First Tee of Fort Worth.
- I can remember the conversations I had with Steve Young, Captain Sully Sullenberger, Champions Tour pro Davis Love III, Jerry Yang, Anton Vincent, Mark Mancina and Herm Edwards at the 2014 Legends and Leaders Dinner for the participants of the Nature Valley First Tee Open at Pebble Beach.
The First Tee takes you places.
If you put into the program what you get out of it, and aren’t afraid to step out of your comfort zone, the possibilities are endless. There are thousands of other participants and alumni that would agree with me in a heartbeat. Don’t EVER give up on this program. Stick it through. Most of the best memories I have are thanks to The First Tee.
I am who I am now thanks to The First Tee. I’m equipped to confidently face college and the real world with the help of The First Tee. The First Tee changes lives for the better and if it hasn’t already, it can and will change yours.