The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits Summit is an interactive, educational event to inspire teen participants to take ownership of their own health and contribute to healthier communities.
Kayla McClendon, from The First Tee of East Lake, guest blogs about the her experience at the summit which included meeting President Clinton, attending Chelsea Clinton’s Day of Action and participating in an ESPN forum that included Kobe Bryant.
“From the second I arrived in La Quinta, Calif., I knew that I was in for a very special and unique opportunity. Although residing in paradise, this was more than just a break away from home. Being that this was the first year that the event had taken place, thanks to partners like Humana, GoHealth and the Clinton Foundation, I have not only enhanced my knowledge on what it means to be healthy but I have also been given the tools and motivation to spread the word among my peers and within my community.During The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits Summit, special time was devoted to all nine healthy habits.
- To express PLAY, we engaged in morning workout sessions to wake up our muscles and provide us with positive drive to start the day.
- For ENERGY, every meal was ensured to be balanced with the proper serving sizes.
- President Bill Clinton discussed his concerns and plans of action for child SAFETY in sports.
- During the session with Dr. Jim Kooler, we talked with us about VISION by analyzing our own values, abilities and goals we set for ourselves.
- The ardent and charismatic legendary golfer Gary Player gave us insight on having the right MIND set when faced with challenges. He dared us to “enjoy adversity” and always have “courage, patience and passion.”
- Ms. Shawna Joyner encouraged FAMILY by sharing her recipes using healthier alternatives and still guaranteeing great flavor.
- Ms. Kierstin Ferrante from Johnson & Johnson shared great tips on how use social media beneficially and wisely when communicating with FRIENDS and loved ones.
- During the ESPN Town Hall Discussion, we spoke with sports icons Kobe Bryant, Herschel Walker, Allyson Felix and Matt Kemp on the importance of daily exercise and physical education in SCHOOL.
- Lastly, by participating in Chelsea Clinton’s Day of Action, we assisted in improving the Coachella Valley COMMUNITY by performing yard service for a local resident named Rose. I immediately saw the impact we had made on her life by seeing the joy and gratitude in her heart and spirit.
Being one of only 24 participants selected to attend The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits Summit was truly a blessing. The First Tee never ceases to impress through their dedication and passion for positive youth development. From my years as a participant in The First Tee of East Lake, I believe this participant opportunity was special because it emphasized what makes The First Tee more than just another golf program–it is also our life skills programming.
With a loaded agenda, my fellow participants and I were presented with innumerable amazing opportunities and a lifetime of memories. Acquiring all of the great knowledge and inspiration was wonderful, but being able to impact someone else life using what I’ve learned is a greater satisfaction.”